All presentation and poster sessions will take place at the Sibley auditorium of the Bechtel Engineering Center. Banquet and keynote speach will take place at the Berkeley Men's faculty club.
Invited talks are 25 minutes long, with an additional 5 minutes for Q&A / discussion.
Poster sessions will follow sessions B and D on Monday and Tuesday afternoon.
The keynote speech and banquet will be held on the Tuesday evening, after the poster session.
The keynote speaker is Eric A. Brewer.
Monday, 11th August, 9:00 AM - 12:15 PM
Session A: PMR extension/Microwave-Assisted Magnetic Recording (Chair: Terry Olson - HGST)
- 9:00 AM: Template Two-Phase Growth for PMR Media
Vignesh Sundar, Jingxi Zhu, David E. Laughlin, Jian-Gang (Jimmy) Zhu, Carnegie Mellon University.
- 9:30 AM: Searching, Fabricating and Characterizing Materials with Giant Saturation Magnetization
Jian-Ping Wang, Xiaowei Zhang, Aminul Md Mehedi, Yanfeng Jiang, University of Minnesota.
- 10:00 AM: Corrosion Growth Kinetics of Perpendicular Magnetic Recording Media
Huan Tang, Seagate Technology.
10:30 - 10:45 AM: Break
- 10:45 AM: Dedicated Servo System Configuration and Performance Evaluation
Zhimin Yuan, Jianzhong Shi, Chun Lian Ong, Pantelis Sophoclis Alexopoulos, Chunling Du, Anmin Kong, Shiming Ang, Budi Santoso, Siang Huei Leong, Kheong Sann Chan, Yibin Ng, Kui Cai, Jack Tsai, Hanxiang Ng, and Hang Khume Tan, Data Storage Institute (Singapore).
- 11:15 AM: Interactions Between Write Head Fields and Spin Torque Oscillators
Simon Greaves, Yasushi KanaI, Takuto Katayama, Hiroaki Muraoka, Tohoku University.
- 11:45 AM: Development of Spin-Torque Oscillators and High Ku Copt Media with Small Grain Size for Microwave Assisted Magnetic Recording
Tiejun Zhou, Mingsheng Zhang, Kelvin Kiat Min Cher, Javier Hon Seng Wong, Hong Jing Chung, Melvin Boon Hao Low, Yi Yang, Zhejie Liu, Febiana Tjiptoharsono, Data Storage Institute (Singapore).
Monday, 11th August, 1:30 PM - 5:15 PM
Session B: Heat Assisted Magnetic Recording (Systems) (Chair: John Dykes - Seagate Technology)
- 1:30 PM: Measuring the Curie Temperature Distribution in FePt Granular Magnetic Media
Simone Pisana, Shikha Jain, James W. Reiner, Oleksandr Mosendz, Gregory J. Parker, Matteo Staffaroni, Olav Hellwig, Barry C. Stipe, HGST.
- 2:00 PM: Impact of Grain Boundary Thickness Variation in Heat Assisted Magnetic Recording
Jimmy Zhu, Hai Li, Carnegie Mellon University.
- 2:30 PM: Back Heating of NFT in HAMR by Radiation and Phonon Tunneling
Bair Budaev, David B. Bogy, UC Berkeley.
3:00 - 3:15 PM: Break
- 3:15 PM: Degradation of Lubricant Film and Carbon Overcoat Subjected to Laser Heating in an Inert Gas Environment in Thermally Assisted Magnetic Recording
Norio Tagawa, Hiroshi Tani, and Shinji Koganezawa, Kansai University.
- 3:45 PM: Recording Performance of a Pulsed HAMR Architecture
Tim Rausch, Alfredo S. Chu, Pu-Ling Lu, Siva Puranam, Deepthi Nagulapally, John Dykes, Seagate Technology.
- 4:15 PM: Comparison Between HAMR and PMR Using Equalized Channel Hardware Samples
Michael Alex, Xinzhi Xing, Western Digital.
- 4:45 PM: Approaches to Improved HAMR Performance as Suggested by Simulation
Randall H. Victora, Sumei Wang, Ali Ghoreyshi, Pin-Wei Huang, Yipeng Jiao and Tao Qu, University of Minnesota.
Tuesday, 12th August, 9:00 AM - 12:15 PM
Session C: Two Dimensional Magnetic Recording (Chair: Shafa Dahandeh - Western Digital)
- 9:00 AM: Two-Dimensional Magnetic Recording (TDMR): Progress and Evolution
Roger Wood, Rick Galbraith, Jonathan Coker, HGST.
- 9:30 AM: A Study of TDMR Signal-Processing Opportunities Based on Quasi-Micromagnetic Simulations
Bane Vasic, Mehrdad KhatamI, Universty of Arizona
Yasuaki Nakamura, Yoshihiro Okamoto, Ehime University, Yasushi Kanai, Niigata Institute of Technology
John R. Barry, Steven W. McLaughlin, and Elnaz Banan Sadeghian, Georgia Institute of Technology.
- 10:00 AM: Simulations for Improved Shingled Writing and TDMR Readback Including Non-Linear-Transition-Shift and Skew
Fatih Erden, Seagate Technology
R.H.Victora, University of Minnesota.
10:30 - 10:45 AM: Break
- 10:45 AM: Skew-Dependent Array-Reader Based Magnetic Recording (ARMR) Performance Evaluation with Dual-Reader Captured Waveforms
Euiseok Hwang, Travis Oenning, George Mathew, Parviz Rahgozar, Suharli Tedja, Paul Duquette, Ken Fitch, Chad Rabbitt, Joseph Petrizzi,Bruce Wilson, and Richard Rauschmayer, Avago Technologies
Glen Garfunkel, Yan Wu, David Hu, Headway Technologies Inc.
- 11:15 AM: Novel Joint Detection and Decoding Schemes for TDMR Channels
Chan Kheong Sann, Kheong Sann Chan, Yong Liang Guan, Data Storage Institute (Singapore).
- 11:45 AM: Timing Recovery Algorithms and Architectures for Two-Dimensional Magnetic Recording Systems
Shayan Garani, Brijesh Reddy, Indian Institute of Science.
Tuesday, 12th August, 1:30 PM - 4:45 PM
Session D: Heat Assisted Magnetic Recording (Components)(Chair: Ganping Ju - Seagate Technology)
- 1:30 PM: Challenges in Developing FePt L10 Granular Thin Film Media for Heat Assisted Magnetic Recording (HAMR)
Olav Hellwig, S. Mosendz, J. Reiner, T. Santos, V. Mehta, S. Pisana, S. jain, M. salo, H. Richter, G. Parker, D. Weller, M. Grobis, B. Terris and B. Stipe, HGST.
- 2:00 PM: Thermal Design for Heat Assisted Magnetic Recording Media
Yukiko Kubota, Xiaobin Zhu, Eric KC. Chang, Yingguo Peng, Yinfeng Ding, Timothy Klemmer, Li Gao, Alex Q. Wu, Hassib Amini , Ganping Ju, and Jan-Ulrich Thiele, Seagate Technology.
- 2:30 PM: Challenges and Recent Developments in Heat Assisted Magnetic Recording
Ram Acharya, Western Digital.
3:00 - 3:15 PM: Break
- 3:15 PM: Inverse Design of Near Field Transducers
Eli Yablonovitch, Samarth Bhargava, UC Berkeley.
- 3:45 PM: Strategies for Temperature Reduction in Near Field Transducers for HAMR
James Bain, Hongliang Liang, Cheng-Ming Chow, Lou Chomas, Jonathan A. Malen, Carnegie Mellon University.
- 4:15 PM: Measuring Temperature and Field Profiles in Heat Assisted Magnetic Recording
Julius Hohlfeld, Xuan Zheng, Mike A. Seigler, Mourad Benali, Seagate Technology.
Wednesday, 13th August, 9:00 AM - 12:15 PM
Session E: Bit Patterned Recording (Chair: Tom Albrecht - HGST)
- 9:00 AM: Bit Patterned Media Technology: From Self Assembly to Magnetic Bits
Ricardo Ruiz, Lei Wan, He Gao, Tsai-Wei Wu, Yves-Andre Chapuis, Kanaiyalal C. Patel, Zuwei Liu, Julia D. Cushen, Gregory S. Doerk, Shisheng Xiong, Jeffrey Lille, Manfred Schabes, Daniel Bedau, Michael K. Grobis, Paul F. Nealey, Thomas R. Albrecht, HGST.
- 9:30 AM: An Array of Ferromagnetic Nano-Islands for BPM Over 2.5 Gb/in2 by Non-Destructive Low-Energy Proton Irradiation
Jongill Hong, Sanghoon Kim, Soogil Lee, Yonsei University, Korea.
- 10:00 AM: Magnetic Materials for Bit Patterned Recording
Bruce A. Gurney, Jean-Marc BeaujouR, En Yang, Olav Hellwig, Frank Zhu, Hitesh Arora, Zuwei Liu, Tsai-Wei Wu, Michael K. grobis, Daniel Bedau, Thomas R. Albrecht, HGST.
10:30 - 10:45 AM: Break
- 10:45 AM: Media Fabrication and System Integration of Bit Patterned Media
Koichi Wago, Seagate Technology.
- 11:15 AM: Adaptive Repeatable Runout Following in Bit Patterned Media Recording
Roberto Horowitz, B. Shahsavari, O. Bagherieh, E. Keikha, UC Berkeley.
- 11:45 AM: Nanoparticle Self-Assembly Approaches to Bit Patterned Media
Sara Majetich, Tianlong Wen, Samuel D. Oberdick, Ahmed Abdelgawad, Stephan K. Piotrowski, Eric R. Evarts, Carnegie Mellon University.
Wednesday, 13th August, 1:30 PM - 4:45 PM
Session F: Non HDD/Novel Recording Concepts (Chair: James Bain - Carnegie Mellon University)
TMRC 2014 main
- 1:30 PM: All-optical Control of Ferromagnetic Thin Films and Nanostructures
Eric E. Fullerton, C-H. Lambert, S. Mangin, R. Medapalli, B. S. D. Ch. S. Varaprasad, Y.K. Takahashi, M. Hehn, M. Cinchetti, G. MalinowskI, K. Hono, Y. Fainman, M. Aeschlimann, UC San Diego.
- 2:00 PM: 85.9 Gb/in2 Recording Areal Density on Barium Ferrite Tape
Mark A. Lantz, Simeon Furrer, Johan B. C. Engelen, Angeliki PantazI, Hugo E. Rothuizen, Roy D. Cideciyan, Giovanni Cherubini, Walter Haeberle, Jens Jelitto, Evangelos Eleftheriou, IBM Research
Masahito Oyanagi, Yuichi Kurihashi, Takahiro Ishioroshi, Tetsuya Kaneko, Hiroyuki Suzuki, Takeshi Harasawa, Osamu Shimizu, Hiroki Ohtsu, Hitoshi Noguchi, Fuji Film Corporation.
- 2:30 PM: Phase Change Memory: A Reliability and System-Level Perspective
Haralampos Pozidis, Thomas Mittelholzer, Nikolaos Papandreou, Thomas Parnell, Milos Stanisavljevic, IBM Research.
3:00 - 3:15 PM: Break
- 3:15 PM: STT-MRAM: Past, Present, Future
Jordan Katine, HGST.
- 3:45 PM: Perspectives of Electric Field Switching in Perpendicular MRAM
Han Guchang, Meng Hao, Sim Cheow Hin, Vinayak Bharat Naik, Michael Tran, Lim Sze Ter, Data Storage Institute (Singapore).
- 4:15 PM: Prospects for the Use of Antiferromagnetism in Data Storage
Xavier Marti, Tomas Jungwirth, Academy of Science (Czech Republic),
Ignasi Fina, Max Planck Institute of Microstructure Physics (Germany), University of Warwick (UK).
TMRC 2014 is co-sponsored by: